Number of homes built: more than 60
Our vision at Habitat for Humanity of Berks County is to be among the major housing leaders in our community for neighborhood revitalization by providing affordable housing and home ownership opportunities for our client families.
Habitat for Humanity of Berks County (HFHBC) is a non-profit 501(c)(3) charitable organization that believes all people deserve a decent life and the power to build their own futures. HFHBC exists to create affordable home ownership opportunities for moderate income families. Families who purchase Habitat for Humanity homes must contribute 300 hours of “sweat-equity”. We rely on volunteers and families contributing sweat-equity for the un-skilled labor needed to build the homes. Working in this way, we believe we provide families a “hand-up” rather than a “hand-out”, while also providing a way for people to assist hard-working families in our community.
- Providing families with a decent place to live
- Neighborhood revitalization via home ownership
- Excellence in home construction and volunteer experiences
- Inclusion and diversity
- Respect and gratitude for those who give and those who receive
- Environmental and financial sustainability